I also get a lot of questions from students, so let me provide some tips:
1) Many questions are answered at the UH Commencement site including Q&A, schedules, maps, directions, parking. (There is another site for faculty including registration and gown rental.
2) For LIS students, don't forget:
a) We're part of the College of Natural Sciences (which is part of the College of Arts & Sciences), so please stand when they call Natural Sciences.
b) I usually like to gather all LIS students together for a group photo.
I do this after the ceremony just as you exit the building. I try to hurry since I know you're hot in the outfit and can't wait to meet your family, but please be patient with me as I try to take several photos to make sure everyone looks good in the photo. I upload the ones that are OK to my flickr site. To make it a nice photo:
- Please look at the camera
- Tall people might want to situate themselves in the center or left side
- Please form 2 rows if there are a more than a few students. It looks much better.
- Smile. After all, you're done!
c) You can meet your family out on the field. The fields are usually divided A-M and N-Z. You should meet by your last name. There are letters in the field to help you meet. Parents/ family/ friends may take a while to reach you since the gaurds don't allow them to arrive until well after all the graduates have left the building. (That means you usually have time for the group photo, then an optional quick restroom stop... before meeting everyone outside).
d) If you take other photos, please consider adding them to our online ohana on flickr.
e) Be sure to thank your friends and families for everything. Now, it is time to celebrate!
PS UH Manoa will no longer have commencement ceremonies in Summer. Summer grads can walk in the previous May or following December event.